`
1

Project D - 4

11/7/09 ( Sat ) 11/9/09 ( Sun ) 11/11/09 ( Wed ) - Posted by Alan Chai

It was tough three days.
It happened that after I got my gear box replaced, I found that shift into 2nd and 4th gear causing noise.
It was even severe that I couldn't down shift to 2nd gear ( you can feel the friction that not allow you to shift in ) when I was on high rpm.
Then I returned the car on Sat and asked the mechanic to replace again since the gearbox is under warranty.
The mechanic told me the part is very hard to find since there is no longer producing the part and you have to find an used one.



Mon, I received a phone call that my car is ready.
This time, the shifting was a lot better but I am still facing the down shift to 2nd gear problem on high rpm.
I discussed with my master that maybe the synchronizer wore off.
Then, we opened for options. We even went all the way to detach the gearbox and have the synchronizer replaced option.
But back to reality, the best is to ask the mechanic to find another.



So, on Wed, I drove back to the mechanic and test drive with him.
Then, the mechanic asked me why you want to down shift to 2nd gear when you are more than 40 km / hr :)
Then, I started to tell him worry later more wear and tear; or I like to make a fast turn; or I worry about my brake not sharp......
He told me it was mission impossible to find another one and also if find one, no guarantee that will be better than this one since they are all used.
Then I asked him to try. So, let's pray.

Little fact, for 5 speed gear box, there is model 56 and 60 for my D.
The only difference is the 5th ratio for 56 is 1 and 60 is 0.81.
Learned from my master that it will save more gas for 0.81 ratio and also will get more top speed if push more.

No comments:

`